So it’s been a few weird weeks in Bethesda. Lots of wonky weather changes — going from 70s to 30s and back again — and we are are currently bracing for the only snowstorm of the season, 8 days before the official start of spring. I, of course, am thrilled. I’ve really missed the evident change in seasons that I used to experience in New York and Connecticut, so here’s to hoping this blizzard satisfies my craving for a snow day. We even stocked up on slow cooker ingredients.
Otherwise, life has consisted of working through the first two months (only two months?! HOW) of a Trump administration, wedding-planning, and most recently hanging around the apartment with Jake while he recovers from PRK surgery. I’m not gonna lie, it was kind of nice to be tethered to our home during the latter half of his spring break, forced to spend some quality time together without laptop or TV screens. I’ve had to get out in the outdoor sun so that I don’t go totally stir crazy — thank you for providing a happy space, Equinox! — but I’ve also been forced to catch up on sleep and New York Magazine crossword puzzles. Win-win.
Other things I’ve been thinking about a lot lately:
- Wedding planning is hard. The major decisions are made, and we’re drawing nearer to the day, but man I am sick of making choices. It’s also been tough to do the majority of it without any family nearby. I just want it all to be organized and paid for so I can drown in excitement instead of my own anxiety. Thank goodness for Jake’s mom and our caterer, who have both kept me from losing my mind with questions. Has anyone else planned a wedding recently without the help of a wedding planner? What did you to do stay sane in the home stretch? How did you know you weren’t missing anything?
- This past week was the 20th anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I could talk about the show for days — Buffy’s under-appreciated role as a single mom, especially — but I’ll just leave you with this list of every episode, ranked, that I contributed to.
- We recently discovered the skirt steak fajitas at Uncle Julio’s Mexican restaurant. I know it’s a chain and it sounds like it’s just gonna be mediocre Mexican food, but please just trust me and order it if you can. The steak is like butter. I really love steak. (Speaking of which, Butcher’s Alley has expanded and is the best). My mouth is watering just writing about it.
- I’m learning to drive stick shift! I was forced on the road this week to drive Jake to and from his procedure at Walter Reed, and I only almost ruined the car a few times. (Just kidding, it was only one time). But now I’m so scared and stressed that I can’t bring myself to get back out there and do it again. Any recommendations?
- I was featured on The Lifestyle Edit just over a year ago. It has been such an unexpected whirlwind since then, and all I can say is that I am so grateful for every bizarre turn my life has taken.
- Listen to this.
- And, finally, I am recently in love with Lush’s Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter. It is soft and smooth and lasts forever and smells like lemons! My nail beds have never looked so healthy (which I realize is not a concern for most people, but I am a chronic picker). I bought a tub in Georgetown almost a month ago and am still only using the stuff that’s stuck to the lid. When I say, “a little bit goes a long way” with this stuff, I mean it. I think it’ll take me years to finish.
Anyway, PLEASE reach out with any final wedding-planning checklists if you have them, or just ping me with any thoughts about any of the above things. Or any things, really. I’m pretty open to chatting about nonsense.